Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Polar Animals




Two animals that live in Antarctica are the penguins and orcas which are also called killer whales. Penguins visit nearby islands to rest, molt, and breed. Penguins are carnivores, and the whales are too. Penguins eat many different kinds of fish, plankton, krill, and squid. The whales are the top predators, so they eat many animals including seals, and even baleen whales. In Antarctica, there are more penguins than any other kind of bird. there are seventeen different species of penguins, and of them, eleven are found in Antarctica. They are flightless, but they can "fly" in the water. They propel them selves with their wings, and steer with their tails and webbed feet. Penguins have many differnt adaptations for keeping them warm. Their feathers overlap to keep in air to help insulate their bodies. They also have a thick layer of fat under their skin to also help insulate their bodies from the cold. There is also an oil gland by their tails to help keep their feathers water proof. Orcas are the top predators. they have up to fourty four teeth and a large dorsal fin. They have a pattern of black and white. they are one of the fastest mammals in the ocean even though they can reach up to thirty three feet in length.


Would you rather be a orca or a penguin, and why?


source: Antarctica Ecosystems

http://marinebio.org/upload/hickerphoto/orcas.jpg,
http://www.polarcruises.com/antarctica/articles/photos/articles/art_Penguins_emperor_and_chick.jpg

5 comments:

  1. I think I would rather be an Orca whale because they are the top predators. I would never have to worry that anything was going to eat me, or that I would die early. I could live my life worry-free, which would be great. I can also eat almost anything, so I would never have to worry about having no food either. Being an Orca whale seems like it would be great! : - )

    ~Dana F.
    Period 4/5

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would rather be an Orca whale because it is the top predator and fast.

    -Minsun 4/5

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd rather be an orca whale because you are at the top of the food chain.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would rather be a Orca Whale because it's harder to be eaten and killed when your so big and scary.

    ~Molly

    ReplyDelete
  5. To me i'd rather be a penguin because they are one of my favorite animals an because orcas are really boring to me

    sean 4/5

    ReplyDelete